In an E-Lines article dated February 19, 2019, we discussed the provisions of JCBA Section 7.O. – Seniority Option. This week, we would like to address some additional “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQs) on this topic:
1. Can a more senior Reserve senior opt another Reserve?
2. Can a more senior Reserve senior opt a junior Lineholder?
3. Can a junior Lineholder senior opt a more senior Reserve?
4. Can a Lineholder be senior opted out of the Purser (“A”) position?
5. How will move-up Lineholders or Reserves on a day off appear on the crew list to distinguish from Reserves who may be senior opted?
6. When may senior opting occur during a pairing?
7. How many times can a Flight Attendant be senior opted?
8. Can a Flight Attendant be senior opted by someone who is not on the same pairing?
9. Can a more senior Flight Attendant senior opt a junior Reserve from a position that requires a special qualification (International Purser or Language Qualified)?
Note: Non-LQ Reserves assigned to cover the open work position of an LQ Flight Attendant may be opted by a more senior Flight Attendant.
Note: A Flight Attendant who is in the International Purser sub-base shall have priority over a non-International Purser Flight Attendant to senior opt a non-International Purser Reserve who has been assigned to the open International Purser position.
10. Can a more senior Flight Attendant who is in a designated LQ position on the flight senior opt a junior non-International Purser Reserve who has been assigned to the open International Purser position?
Note: As a reminder, Flight Attendants should make every effort to inform crew scheduling when trading premium positions onboard the aircraft. If, however, a Flight Attendant who assumes a premium paid position is unable to contact crew scheduling prior to departure (including those who are in the middle of a pairing) should contact crew scheduling to report the change as to who worked the premium position. In addition, Flight Attendants may submit an Override Pay Exception at their first opportunity, via Hub Help.If you have additional questions, please contact your Local Council office.